Changi can be traced back to the 1940s, when many of the Allied prisoners-of-war, housed in the nearby Changi Prison, were forced to build the facility under the direction of the Japanese occupiers after the fall of Singapore in 1942.
Two unpaved landing strips were built between 1943 to 1944, intersecting in a cross layout and in approximately north-southand east-west directions.
Japanese Prisoners were then made to improve the runways, reinforcing the north-south runway for military aircraft and adding perforated steel plates to the east-west runway.
The airfield facility became a Royal Air Force station and was renamed RAF Changi in 1946 after the Japanese surrender.
Changi as it is today